SMTP Relay for Sending Mail (Macintosh)Document ID: 2512HQ
My Internet Service Provider requires that I use a separate authentication login name for sending mail. How do I do this in Eudora? (Macintosh)
In the past, the Internet standard for this kind of security on sending of mail was to send the same authentication login name for both sending and receiving email. However, several ISP's have implemented the use of separate login names for sending and receiving email.
To set up your Eudora 6 (and higher) to send a separate login name for sending and receiving mail, you will need to create multiple personalities in Eudora - one of those personalities will be used to send mail. Follow these steps:
1. Go to Window: Personalities. This will open the Personalities window.
2. To create the personality, click on the New button at the bottom of the personalities window. It will create an Untitled personality. Name it something easy to remember.
3. Highlight the personality you just created, then click on the Edit button at the bottom of the personalities window.
4. The Settings window opens with Personalities highlighted. The name of the Personality is listed at the top. Under Checking Mail, enter your sending mail user name in the User Name field. Enter the POP server name in the Mail Server field. Make sure the two checkboxes - "Check Mail every __ minutes" and "Check mail on manual checks" - are unchecked if you do not wish to check mail on this email account.
Under Sending Mail, enter your name in the Real Name field. Enter your outgoing mail server in the SMTP Server field. Finally, enter your email address in the Email Address field.
5. Go to the Special menu, Settings and select Sending Mail. In the "SMTP Relay Personality" field choose the personality you just configured for the STMP relay from the menu. (None is the default.) Click "OK".
Note: All messages sent from each of your personalities will use the email address for that selected personality. It will not use the email address for the specified "SMTP Relay Personality". For example, if you bring your computer to work, you can easily change your SMTP relay to a personality which uses a different ISP to send mail through your work connection. Or you can set the SMTP relay personality to "None" so that you can send mail using the settings specified for each personality.
For a detailed tutorial on how to use SMTP Relay please visit http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/tutorials/mac_smtp_relay.html.
KEYWORDS: EPMAC, SMTP, SENDING, SEND, PERSONALITY
| Home | Online Support | Open Source Development | User Forums | Contact Webmaster |
© 1999-2009 QUALCOMM Incorporated. All rights reserved. QUALCOMM and Eudora are registered trademarks of QUALCOMM Incorporated. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.